So, I have a problem. I hope you can help.
I started volunteering at the library. I work in YA fiction and regular fiction. They want me to come up with a "top-ten favorite" list of adult fiction that I've read. Problem is--I don't like to read adult fiction.
That sounds horrible that I won't read it but that's only because I love Young Adult fiction. Easy reads. Really fun. Don't have to worry about skipping a bunch of pages.
I currently have two: The Thirteenth Tale and The Eyre Affair.
I'm begging for some suggestions for good "grown-up" fiction that I can start reading and maybe enjoy.
Any suggestions will be noted and I promise to read. Thanks!
10 comments:
I just finished reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"...fabulous. You really should read it. I could list more, but I need to go work on dinner. Good luck with your list!
What ages are considered YA? I'll see what I can come up with.
I enjoyed the memory keeper's daughter, though I don't know if its a favorite. I have the same problem as you..
Thanks, Lindsay.
Karen--YA books are those that appeal to teenagers or younger. Usually the narrator is anywhere from 11-18 years old. I need some older books.
Alissa--I'm good with "enjoyed" book suggestions. I just noticed yesterday that my "to-read" book stack from the library included a bunch of YA books and 1 biography of FDR.
What is adult fiction? is it any fiction book that is about adults? I like (listing the authors in order of my memory, not necessarily preference) Steven Frey (financial thrillers), David Baldacci (his Camel Club series are fabulous), Vince Flynn (CIA/Terrorism) and Brad Thor (CIA/Government). Stephanie and I argued on whether those books/authors are considered Adult Fiction. My argument is that they are about adults (and adult themes) and they are fiction...therefore it should be considered adult fiction. She still thinks I'm wrong. If so, libraries need to change their definitions because I'm not sure how adult fiction can't be adult fiction :). (by the way...I have no idea how to choose the identity...I don't do the blogging, this is Brian)
In the Salt Lake City Library (where I'm currently spending time volunteering) they do catalog all of those types of books as "fiction". They have romances in another section, but fiction covers all of your list plus the classic--Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, etc. But each library (as I'm learning) is different in their organization according to the needs of the patrons. Perhaps this is something I can study once I get into grad school. :)
But suggestions! I like those! Thanks, Brian!
So what you're saying is...I'm right!...could you say that a little louder, I'm not sure Stephanie and others heard it clearly ;)
As far as I understand, yes. You're right. Are you happy now?
Okay, here are a few. Two of my all time favorites are The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and My Side of the Mountain. They are oldies but goodies. I recently read Fairest by Levin (author of Ella Enchanted) it was good. Goose Girl by Shanno Hale (Penny sent it to me - LOVED IT!) and Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn. Hope this helps. I can definately come up with more if you need them. I love YA fiction.
I too have a similar problem. I liked the Thirteenth Tale, that's a fun one. I would recommend To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. My favorite "adult book" (other than Pride & Prejudice, of course). Oooh, also I'm pretty sure The Host counts as adult fiction, you can add that to your list.
Post a Comment