Monday, July 13, 2009

Part Three: It Continues

After a month in a trio, President returned me to Barcelona. With Hermana Ballif.

We experienced the great things in Barcelona.

The Mona de Pascua (Easter Mona), a cake served at Easter time.


I spent a lot of time admiring the Damm Beer Factory that was over three blocks from the apartment. Yes. That's REALLY the name of it.


< And President promised that this transfer would be my last in Barcelona. He, or rather the Lord, had other plans for me. So I had to say goodbye to some of my favorite people.

Jessica, Susana, Joel were amazing members. Jessica wasn't a member, but was Joel's sister-in-law and diligently came every week to church. She was unable to be baptized because she wasn't married, but she still remained strong and learned as much as she could.


When I arrived in Barcelona, Joel was just starting to reactivate himself, with the help of the missionaries. At the time of this picture, he and Susana had gone to the temple and were sealed together and he was serving in two callings simultaneously--Ward Executive Secretary and Ward Mission Leader.

Marcela and her daughter were from Mexico. She made the best food ever. I loved visiting her. She was a returned missionary and definitely helped me to have more confidence in my abilities with the language.


And then, transfer calls came. I was training. And it was back to L'Hospitalet. I was assigned to Hermana Whitford.

The office elders didn't have enough room in the van to transport us, so they took us and our suitcases to the metro and sent us on our way with the promise that our district leader would meet us at our metro stop. Funny thing was--the elders never showed. So, being the trooper that I am, I showed her the way to get out as we lugged our suitcases up the escalator. At the top, I tripped and fell, just as the elders arrived. I'm sure I was a sight to see.

That night, we went to Plaza Catalunya, as we always did on transfer night. The missionaries gather there to sing and say goodbye to those missionaries who are leaving the mission. Hermana Whitford got to meet my trainer, and I was able to say goodbye to Hermana Olson.


And thus began my adventure with the polynesian. With her, I learned the greatness of Hawaiian pizza and the Hoki Lau. I learned to "chill" and take my time. I needn't rush to every appointment. And I learned to laugh a lot. And often.


We discovered Parc Guell, as I had only been there once previously.


We had a Hawaiian night with the ward and with the help of her parents decorated the cultural hall to perfection.


We went to Montserrat and stood (well, I kneeled) on the top of the Steps of Life.


We went to the Olympic stadium.


We met Elder Oaks (which I don't have a very good picture of....).

And I tried to remain positive throughout all of it. Succeeding only somewhat. 

We had amazing experiences as well. One day, we were teaching Monica and in the middle of our lesson, she asked about the Book of Mormon and whether or not the Bible ever teachings about the Book of Mormon. Into my mind came a scripture in Ezekiel. I immediately showed her the scripture and explained its meaning to her. She had tears in her eyes as she looked at me. You see, Monica had read that exact chapter the night before in her personal scripture study. But she did not understand it. She had prayed to God for understanding. And the next day was our lesson, when I explained it clearly to her.

After three months, President decided to send me down the coast to the south of the mission. And I was definitely in for a new experience.

1 comment:

The Standrings said...

oh my goodness, how the memories are flowing! i could write an essay right now! i know that was NOT a coincidence that we met when we did. oh toosh, i love you. i love the mish! thanks for bringing back the lovely memories!